How to Shuck an Oyster:
Table Top Method - safer, with more control.
1. Hold the oyster with your non-dominant hand, and the Oyster Knife in your dominant hand.
-Hold the oyster firmly, so it does not move. a protective cloth or glove is recommended.
2. Insert the tip of the knife blade into the Hinge of the oyster, wiggle the knife tip, into the shell, until it won't go any further. 1/4 turn of the knife handle, should pop the hinge.
3. Pry up the top shell, exposing where the oyster is attached. Scrape at the attachment at the insertion point, the Oyster loosens from the top shell.
4. Turn the oyster 180 degrees - sweep any any grit or broken shell from the oyster. Present the oyster onto an iced tray Or eat the Oyster as Intended...
5. Raise the Oyster shell to your lips, slip the oyster in, a light chew - "bruise it gently with your tongue"- aerate (to breath in through the mouth, allowing the palate o understand what it is eating. and swallow...Repeat steps 1-4
From Patrick McMurray aka Shucker Paddy, Guinness World Record Holder for Shucking Oysters.
* Please use extra caution handling the knife or shell as you may cut or injure yourself.